Saturday, September 18, 2010

Moving into the mama void





Edith Coleman, photo by Toni Wynn, Thanksgiving 2007


This is Muzzie, my grandmother. Motherhood isn't her most favorite thing. Did I ever sit on her lap? I played croquet in her backyard. I never quite believed how thoroughly blue her guest room was. Powder blue everything. Powder blue air. Muz was my first piano teacher, and the first person to ask, "When are you going to get your Ph.D.?" I think I grew into womanhood guided by the light in her bright eyes, and propelled by her take-no-prisoners energy. More Muz in another post. Right now I'm stuck in a memory of the perfection of her tall, tantalizing, lemon meringue pies. 

1 comment:

  1. TADA!!!
    Lookie...lookie...the very first 'I love the beginnings of your blog' comment.
    WooHoo!!

    I look forward to leaning into your musings on the mother.

    xox
    d

    ReplyDelete

Tell. I'm listening to you.